Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Africa pics + apologies for this post being so long

Once upon a time, I went to Africa. I put a bunch of boring pictures on my facebooks, but here are some pretentious artsy pictures that aren't very good because my darkness compensation setting was waaaaay too high. Or low. Whichever one means that most of them are too dark. Also, JUDGE ME I'M SO SORRY THIS POST IS SO LONG but it's just pictures and not words so try not to be too overwhelmed. MY HEARTFELT APOLOGIES NONETHELESS.

First of all, pictures from the kids' schools at Touba, the Mouride holy city:

















Now pictures of the giant super old mosque at Touba.

First, Flor, a girl who worked for/was related to the Senegalese author who set this all up for us, being super hot:



Now some dude sleeping by one of the entrances, because mosques are cool because people just go there to sleep and hang out and be generally awesome:



Peeps from our group:



Beggar kids outside the mosque:



And now for ten thousand pictures of the cutest kids in the world, i.e. the kids in the Peul village that we visited while we were in Saint Louis. On our first night there, they had a huge celebration and all the kids dressed up in traditional clothes and had a huge dance party, so here are the pictures of that.















Kids looking at Mme Thompson in her new boubou, probably because white people don't usually wear boubous, which is the traditional and super awesome clothes that people wear all the time. Boubous are GORGEOUS.













OH HEY ARE YOU STILL THERE KEEP HANGING IN THERE THE END IS ALMOST NIGH
By which I mean there are still like fifteen more deal with it.

Here is a woman at the dying tiny village on top of a mountain where it was pretty and windy:



And Charles, a little boy who followed us around the whole time we were there and balanced this lumpy thing on his head perfectly, while scrambling up and down the rocky mountain:



In Saly, at poet/president/incredibly crazy person Leopold Senghor's house:



At seashell island, aka the island made entirely of seashells, even though I don't know that you can tell how seashelly it was in these pictures:







Pretty flowers by the hotel pool:



And some final pictures of Dakar:







The end! Congrats if you made it to the bottom of the page.

7 comments:

  1. These are all lovely! That is the only enlightening thought I have to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I FEEL ENGLIGHTENED. Thanks for being my bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO PROBALA, ELIZAGERTH.
    also, I love the new theme on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I just love YOU. The words you say to me are always the friendliest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kylie all your pictures are the shiz. you can't stop the signal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LIKE YOUR LIFE. YOU my friend are the shiz. I just love you all.

    ReplyDelete