Thursday, April 29, 2010

Heeeeey BYU: stop controlling my life.

Or rather, stop controlling my electronic life, because for some reason, I have a new class that assigns me to post rhetorical analyses of various things on my blog. Guys. This is not the purpose of a blog. The purpose of this blog is to write random things about my random life, and, as Jon pointed out the other day, professors might think they're being hip with the kids by having us blog assignments and crap, but they're messing up the format and purposes of "the blog" by making it into a freaking analysis. FYI: THAT IS NOT A BLOG. Anyway. I'm annoyed. GAH. So when there are random things that are boring posted on this blog, feel free not to read them, because they really are assignments that should be typed up and turned in, not randomly posted on a blog FOR NO REASON other than that BYU likes to control everything I ever do ever.

WHAT LARKS!

Anyway, lots of ranting in recent times because English 312 is boring and my D&C class sucks. This is because, for some reason, every religion class at BYU (basically) is like glorified seminary. HEY D&C TEACHER: stop making jokes about marriage! Stop inviting all of us to get married! Stop being so in-your-face and American! Stop making the D&C so damn trite!

These words were actually said in class today: "So go out and find that right girl or that right boy and get married! Now! As soon as you can!" Yeah. When his son brought home a girlfriend for the first time, this man taught an FHE lesson to them about temple marriage and then sat down with the girlfriend and talked to her about the importance of marriage. Can you say creeper?

Okay. End/rant. I will try to be positive and optimistic and all that crap, but it's a liiiittle tricky when your smiling old man religion professor keeps trying to shove marriage down your face.

On a happier note, even though I really, really do not want to be doing all this stuff spring semester, it is at least a little bit more chill, which means my life can go back to being all about tv! Making tv my life is maybe not so great, since there was lots of tv trauma this week (Joyce dying, Gabriel dying, House being emo. You know. The usual). However, I do so like it when my world revolves around television. This includes these people:



This person:



And perhaps these wonderful people, since I have been craving some good Sci-Fi recently:



Also, if this man dies next Thursday:



I will be seriously pissed.

Anyway.

In closing, this actual conversation was had in class yesterday. I wrote it down because I thought it was funny.

Student: "I just think it's important when arguing to remember that in this life, there is no absolute truth. We just can't find one absolute truth in this world, there isn't any ideal truth."
Teacher: "That's great. I think that's absolutely true."

...

KIDS I LOVE YOU I will go and do my oodles of D&C homework now and perhaps eat lunch. Maybe I'll have to take this down later because I don't want the teacher who grades my rhetorical analyses to see this. At least not really. Theoretically.

GO OUTSIDE NOW AND ENJOY THE SPRINGTIME SUN I mean the snow. :(

Ps when I hit "publish post" and it went to the splash page or whatever, there was an ad on the side for an online dating side for gay Asian singles. Alas, none of those terms apply to me, but I appreciate the ad anyway.

3 comments:

  1. wtf you have to make blog posts for your class? FALSE THAT IS DUMB. I would be equally as opposed.

    ALSO your D&C teacher, what the what. WHO GIVES A TEMPLE MARRIAGE FHE LESSON TO SOMEONE ON A FIRST DATE? Answer: crazy people. I'm really sorry. I'd be really frustrated if I were in that same situation. Which, guess what, I probably will be come fall. HOORAY FOR BYU!

    I need to watch Buffy! I need to watch it nine times. After my AP tests I will. And it will be great. ALSO IF CASTIEL DIES
    OH
    OH MAN
    SO HELP ME
    THERE WILL BE BLOOD. I will go like this: http://i41.tinypic.com/vgq73d.jpg
    And then like this: http://i42.tinypic.com/jt3qdk.jpg

    The end.
    Also that thing with your teacher and truth made me lol a hundred times. OH GOODNESS.

    I HOPE YOU FIND A GAY ASIAN LOVER

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a Buffy-watcher back in the day, and have just started Angel on Netflix, and am wondering if it's a bad idea. I have far too many shows I get into, especially for a person who tells people I don't like TV. :P I guess I only like it on recorded, DVD-esque format to skip commercials and crap. I think I just hate blatant consumerism. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. KYLIE WHY DID I NEVER KNOW THAT YOU ARE A PERSON WITH WHOM I COULD SHARE MY UNDYING LOVE OF CASTIEL/SUPERNATURAL??!?!?!?!?!

    Seriously life is too short to NOT know that YOU are a person to whom I can say that yesterday I was at the grocery store and there was a person walking briskly down the aisle ahead of me in a pale trench-coat and I thought to myself IT IS CASTIEL OH PLEASE OH PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete