Wednesday, May 5, 2010

YAY

I dropped my D&C class!
I am taking adolescent lit instead!

EEE!!

My life has improved dramatically.

I have to read thirty books for this class over the next seven weeks, so I'm going to try to keep track of them on here. So far I have read:



UNWIND, by Neil Shustermann. THIS IS ONE THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE READ IN A LONG TIME. GO FIND OUT ABOUT IT AND READ IT PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU. OH MY GOSH.

Also I have read



Guinea Pig Scientists, which was boring and gross but informative, I guess, and



Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World, which I've read before and which I love, and



I'll be seeing you, by Lurlene McDaniel. Guys. First of all I have to point out that in the copy I read, Kyle on the front cover has long, stringy, billowy Fabio hair. Apparently they later altered this physical feature. Sad.

"Carley Mattea never expected to meet a boy as handsome as Kyle Westin--certainly not in the hospital. Seventeen-year-old Kyle was blinded when a chemistry experiment exploded. His doctors don't know if he'll get his vision back, and he's deeply depressed. Sixteen-year-old Carley understands how miserable it is to be in the hospital. She's had plenty of experience. soon Carley and Kyle become good friends. But Carley is keeping a secret from Kyle. She knows that boys like girls who are pretty--and she is not. Scarred by a facial deformity, she has, over the years, used her sense of humor to cope. But now that she's become so close to Kyle, she's worried that once his bandages are removed...and he sees her, it will be the end of their relationship."

Here is an example of Carley's sense of humor: after Kyle flies over the school on Valentine's Day with an airplane trailing a banner that reads, "CARLEY, BE MINE, K.W.," Carley says, "I think I will make that call. I'd hate to leave that guy hanging." Following this statement, Carley's sister Janelle "groaned over Carley's bad joke, but Carley scarcely heard her. She looked up to see the plane cut a wide circle, dip its wing as if in greeting, and head off. The sign fluttered behind it in the wind, the large crimson letters stamped across the face of the sky, bright as the flare of a rocket."

I don't know if the final sentence was supposed to refer to the rocket that exploded and thus temporarily blinded poor Kyle. Also, Carley gets plastic surgery in the end, and thus she will once again be beautiful.

Yay!

I'll never get that half an hour of my life back.
Also, while typing this, I had to listen to a BYU tutorial about using the library. I learned all about internet safety. At long last! Thanks, BYU, for this valuable, timely information.

CHEERS.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, adolescent literature sounds so much more up your alley than having to sit through that D&C class OH MAN

    But I read Unwind like, last week. IT WAS SOME GOOD TIMES.

    ALSO the description of that last book made me throw up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT WAS TERRIBLE! It also made me throw up, but not as much as SKANKY MILEY CYRUS made me throw up nine times.

    AAAAHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Unwind! It is so good! Also that last book is a book that my older sisters had and read over and over but I for some reason never did--now I know what I was missing and I want my childhood back.

    ReplyDelete